OVERVIEW OF B.K. MARIAPPA CHARITIES
| SRI.B.K.MARIYAPPA, a renowned merchant of Bangalore and a benefactor of poor students bequeathed all his properties at the age of 35 itself under a will dated 4.3.1914, for establishment of a free hostel with boarding and lodging for poor and deserving students on secular basis and created a Trust with six honorary Trustees for carrying out the noble wishes enshrined in the will. The will and the codicil of 8.3.1914 enjoined the Trustees to sell all his properties and invest the amounts so realised in Government security and utilise the interest earned for feeding 45 poor and deserving students free of cost.
The trustees were able to purchase 4 cottage sites, Bangalore Municipality as well some private adjacent land on 3rd Main Road, Chamarajapet of a total area of 51204 sq. feet and construct an imposing building for establishing of SRI.B.K.MARIYAPPA’s Hostel The hostel started functioning from 01.07.1921 providing free boarding and lodging facilities to 45 poor and deserving students of different communities as stated in the will purely on secular basis.
The scheme for management of the Trust and the hostel is governed as approved by the District Judge, Bangalore on 2.6.1930 and as subsequently amended on 29th March 1935 and again on 17th August 1971.
On the 26th December 1946 i.e., at the end of its 25 years of glorious service, the Charities celebrated its Silver Jubilee function by which time it had already produced a large number of eminent personalities to its credit. It was a coincidence that the Old Boys Association of SRI.B.K.MARIYAPPA’s Hostel was founded on the same day with the main object of bringing all the old boys of the hostel on a common platform and serve and assist the parent institution in increasing the intake of students by providing additional funds collected from its members and other philanthropists.
In order to improve the financial resources of the Charities, the construction of six shops and six first floor rooms was undertaken by the Charities during the year 1947 on the open land of the premises facing the 1st cross road, Chamarajpet which is now named after our revered Donor Late B.K. Mariyappa. Immediately thereafter two shops and two first floor rooms over them were constructed on the site facing the third main road Sri.M.C.Chikkananjundappa, the then Managing Trustee was mainly responsible for this construction. His name remains to be cherished in the history of the Charities due to his very long and useful services to the Charities.
B.K.MARIYAPPA’s Hostel Old Boys’ Association with the growth of its financial resources, duly obtaining approval of the Charities accelerated further construction facing the first cross road. The first phase of construction consisting of 5 shops in the ground floor and 10 first floor rooms over them was completed and inaugurated on 25.9.77 paving the way for accommodating 30 additional students in the 10 rooms constructed in the first floor, the boarding cost being met out of the rental income from the 5 ground floor shops.
Between 1977 and 1979, a big common dining hall and a moderate kitchen, were constructed by the Charities to facilitate all the students to take food simultaneously in a common place with a view to improve fraternity among them. During the same period, the vacant land on the eastern & northern portions of the hostel premises were leased, for a period of 33 years since the lease period are over the same together with the buildings have been taken over by the Charities.
The Diamond Jubilee Block commemorating 60 years of completion of successful running of the hostel, was constructed by the Old Boys’ Association out of the donations received from the Old Boys and philanthropic donors. The block consists of 4 shops at the Ground Floor and 8 rooms for accommodating 24 students in the first floor.
The construction of the D.J.M.Block entailed demolition of the old and the out lived office cum store room block and this necessitated construction of a new office block adjacent to the dining hall providing accommodation for an office and store in the ground floor and a mini hall and library room on the first floor. The entire work was completed on 21.7.1993
Action was initiated by the Old Boy’s Association in 1994, to add one more building complex to commemorate the Platinum Jubilee of the hostel which was due in 1996. It was planned to dismantle the old rooms facing east and in their place to construct 5 shops and a stair case room on the ground floor and a spacious hall with partitions on the first floor, having a total area of 3500 sft. Due to vigorous efforts made by the Old Boys’ Association, sufficient funds were collected and the building was completed and handed over to the parent institution on 1.2.1996. The Charities spent an additional sum of for providing mosaic flooring, water supply, drainage and other facilities on the first floor in order to meet the request of the tenant who offered substantially a higher monthly rent and interest free advance.
With the completion of all the blocks of buildings it has been possible to provide free boarding and lodging facilities for 75 students even at the present high cost of living as against 45 students at the time of starting the hostel.
On the 16th March 1997, the Platinum Jubilee of the hostel was celebrated in a befitting manner in the presence of a large number of philanthropists, dignitaries and Old students of the hostel. During the celebrations, it was unanimously resolved that a Girls’ wing of the hostel be established on the same lines as the parent Institution to provide free boarding and lodging facilities to girl students coming from rural areas for higher studies to Bangalore. Many invitees assured that they would render financial assistance for the same.
As a first step in fulfillment of the resolution adopted during the Platinum Jubilee celebrations, a Girl’s wing of the Hostel was inaugurated on the 18th August 1999, by one of our hostel old students, Dr.H.Narasimhaiah, an educationist, Gandhian, President, National Educational Institution and Ex-Vice Chancellor of Bangalore University with an intake of 9 students of different communities in a rented building at closer proximity to the main hostel. The intake of girl students has been increased to 15 during the year 2000 – 2001 by taking two more rooms on rent in the same building.
In the mean time all efforts were made to secure an independent site for construction of hostel building exclusively for the girls through Bangalore Mahanagara Palike and other sources. But the results were not encouraging.
At this Juncture, as though God sent an old student of our Alma- Mater, Sri.K.Dinesh of Infosys Technologies Ltd., son of Late Sri.A.R.KrishnaSwamy, who has very effectively served in the educational field and made a name at Hosakote, has come forward voluntarily with very generous gift of 1000 Infosys Shares, which could generate sufficient funds for the purpose in view. This gift offered by Sri.K.Dinesh inspired us to venture in founding a Girls’ Wing of the hostel having our own building with all requirements particularly when our country is running on the track of empowerment of women. Out of the sale proceeds of the said shares and the donations received from Retd. Major Sri S.Najundaiah, President, M/s Ashraya Hasta Trust and father-in-law of Sri.K.Dinesh in the name of his wife late Mrs.Smt.Shanthamma, a vacant site measuring 30’ x 108’ in Chamarajapet, 3rd Main Road between 7th and 8th Cross was purchased, Hostel Building for girls was constructed and the balance amount deposited in the Bank for perpetual maintenance of 45 girl students with free boarding and lodging facilities on secular basis.
The Charities in its historic career of these long years has produced very many Engineers, Doctors, Administrators, Technologists, Educationists, Business men and many other professionals many of whom are retired from services and settled in various parts of the country and abroad. It is hoped that the hostel will produce such women professionals also in the years to come and scale the new height in the annals of our Charities.
It is gratifying to note that BBMP has duly recognized the meritorious services rendered by the charities to the student community and has honoured the charities with “KEMPEGOWDA AWARD” on 08/04/2001. And a small financial assistance is also given by BBMP every year towards maintenance of students, further first cross , Chamarajpet and circle near Makkalakoota are named after B.K. Mariyappa thus making his name eternal.
B.K.M. Charities has taken up another important project to help the old age persons with befitting home for needy and deserving persons. In support of this project Sr. K. Dinesh and retired major S. Nanjundaiah have already contributed more than 10 Lakhs of rupees, M/s Kasturi Trust, Bangalore have very liberally donated rupees sixty lakhs for the same purpose. An old student and present Trustee Dr.N.Ramaiah has donated 25 guntas of land at survey No. 34, Papanahalli village, Jala Hobli, Bangalore North Taluk to be used for the construction of the proposed old age home many other also have contributed liberally for the same cost.